Supporting our community to recover and rebuild
Covid 19 - Recover + Rebuild
As the lockdown eases and businesses start to open again in Kensington and Chelsea, we know that the impact of the pandemic is far from over. We have kept in close contact with our local partners over the last four months and identified some key issues affecting our community:
- Many families, although they may have struggled in over-crowded accommodation throughout lockdown, remain very anxious about going outside and need access to safe, distanced outdoor spaces in which their children can play and exercise
- There is a high demand for local counselling services and partners have reported an increase in calls regarding domestic violence
- Demand for unemployment and debt advice services has also increased and is likely to grow further over the coming months
- Some of our most vulnerable children have fallen behind in their schoolwork during lockdown and need support to ensure they achieve their potential
- Self-reported mental health issues such as loneliness and anxiety have dramatically increased, particularly amongst young people, as have instances of youth violence
The donations you made to our Covid-19 Appeal to date have enabled us to deliver swift crisis response support to over 15,000 vulnerable residents, providing essential food, supplies and digital support. We are now launching phase 2 of our appeal, Recovery and Rebuilding, to support our community in the wake of the pandemic, and focus our attentions particularly on services that meet the needs of children and young people, and those left unemployed or financially insecure.
With your support we can provide safe places for young people and their families to exercise, learn, socialise and access services that will improve their mental health and wellbeing. We can offer advice and support on employment issues and debt management, which will help families struggling to recover from loss of income.
£33 could fund an intensive two hour literacy lesson for a child whose reading level is below their expected level
£80 could fund a vulnerable family to take part in a weekly indoor sports session in a safely managed environment
£240 could fund education resources for 8 families to support their learning over summer and beyond
£630 could fund a family of five to visit a forest play setting every week of the summer holidays to explore climbing trees, building dens and having fun
£1,160 could fund a support package including advice and interview training to help two local residents gain meaningful and sustained employment
“It meant the world to me and my two little kids – they enjoyed themselves and it brought me to tears to see how happy they were.” – a local mother whose family used a safe play space in North Kensington
Please make a donation today to help us rebuild and support our vibrant and diverse community in the wake of the pandemic.